Jan 26, 2009

Depressions Busters #4

Predict Your Weak Spots
When I quit smoking, it was helpful to identify the danger zones--those times I most enjoying firing up lung rockets: in the morning with my java, in the afternoon with my java, in the car (if you've been my passenger you know why), and in the evening with my java and a Twix bar.
I jotted these times down in my "dysfunction journal" with suggestions of activities to replace the smokes: In the morning I began eating eggs and grapefruit, which don't blend well with cigs. I bought a tape to listen to in the car. An afternoon walk replaced the 3:00 smoke break. And I tried to read at night, which didn't happen (eating chocolate is more soothing).

Any addict would benefit from a long list of "distractions," activities than can take her mind off of a cig, a glass of Merlot, or a suicidal plot (during a severe depression).
Some good ones:
crossword puzzles,
novels,
Sudoku,
e-mails,
reading Beyond Blue (a must!);
walking the dog (pets are wonderful "buddies" and can improve mental health),
card games,
movies,
"American Idol" (as long as you don't make fun of the contestants...bad for your depression, as it attracts bad karma);
sports,
de-cluttering the house (cleaning out a drawer, a file, or the garage...or just stuffing it with more stuff);
crafts;
gardening (even pulling weeds, which you can visualize as the marketing director that you hate working with);
exercise;
nature (just sitting by the water);
and music (even Yanni works, but I'd go classical).

FREE

Live a balanced life - learn some & think some & draw

& PaInT & sInG & DaNcE & PlAy & WoRk every day some.

You & i... walking with me all this time

Prov. 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously

Prov. 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously

My Blog List

im a survivor

New Product 2010 !

Earn 75% With The Popular Satellite Tv Software. Our Online Tv Software Convert Better With The New Localized Landing Page System. To Get Your Special Auto Geo Targeted Link
Click Here!

Followers