Aug 12, 2008

ASS umptions



What is jumping to negative assumptions?
When I jump to negative assumptions, I:
~reach the negative, pessimistic judgment that things are not going to go my way and act accordingly.
~am reacting to unresolved anger that gives power to people against whom I harbor anger.
~am acting out of anger, resentment, hatred, and animosity.
~neglect to find out if things have changed from similar situations in the past.
~snap to a decision without having all the facts at hand.
~ignore any positive input I may be receiving.
~may be reacting to a situation based on a negative belief system.
~generalize from past experiences that my future will be no different than my past.
~become pessimistic about my life because things don't look any different to me now than they did before.
~lock people into a certain behavior pattern, or a "script.''
~don't allow for the possibility of change.
~have a belief about the way things are going to be and I don't allow for any deviation from this belief.
~close off the possibility for healthy change because I fail to see the reality of changes in life being presented to me.
~am being unfair to myself and to others.
How can I characterize my jumping to assumptions?
Ignoring the ``yes'' messages in my life
.
Being used to receiving "no,'' I make the assumption that things will remain the same. When people give me a "yes,'' which is permission to act in a healthy way, I ignore them, assuming the worst, and continue to react as if I had been given a "no.''
Having a chip on my shoulder.
Because I assume that things will always go wrong people perceive me as sullen, angry, negative, and easily agitated.
Giving power to others.
By assuming the worst about people, places, things, or events I allow them to upset, bother, or agitate me. This means I give them power over me, negative power.
Prejudiced or bigoted behavior. By assuming that a person or group of people will always act the same way, I react to them in a negative way. This puts an emotional and/or physical distance between us, leaving no chance for healing.
Acting in a stereotypic way.
By making assumptions about how something or someone is always going to be, I act in a ``predetermined'' way regarding the particular issue(s). This allows little flexibility and spontaneity in my life.
Thinking and/or acting irrationally.
Most of the assumptions I reach are based on irrational thinking. The possibility of change is not considered.
Fulfillment of the prophecy.
By assuming that the worst is going to happen, I subconsciously set things up so that they do happen and in just the negative way I predicted.
Being close-minded.
If I assumed that there is only one way things will always be, then my mind is closed to other possibilities. This results in my becoming closed or resistant to change, even to changes for the better. I simply refuse to believe they are true.
Living with blinders on.
Reaching the assumption that there is only one way things are going to be, I become unable to look forward. I refuse to see the possibility of things being different. I become narrow in my focus.
Being rigid and inflexible.
By assuming that things can't change, my behavior gets stuck on one track. I'm on a one-way street to nowhere, in a deep rut. I find it impossible to be spontaneous or flexible.
Being insensitive and uncaring.
By assuming that I will be treated negatively by everyone with whom I come in contact, I throw emotional barriers up so high that no one can see my feelings. This results in my appearing cold and aloof.
SELF SABOTAGING BEHAVIOR
Assuming that only the worst will happen to me, I do or say things that hamper my growth or success. Failure and loss are the result

No comments:

FREE

Live a balanced life - learn some & think some & draw

& PaInT & sInG & DaNcE & PlAy & WoRk every day some.

You & i... walking with me all this time

Prov. 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously

Prov. 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously

My Blog List

im a survivor

New Product 2010 !

Earn 75% With The Popular Satellite Tv Software. Our Online Tv Software Convert Better With The New Localized Landing Page System. To Get Your Special Auto Geo Targeted Link
Click Here!

Followers