Sep 22, 2009

The Talisman of Leadership - Authenticity






"I have come to realize that, for me at least, the quest for 'authenticity' is really a new spin on an age-old quest to find meaning and do the right thing. It's a journey not a destination; a process not an answer."




- Hugh Mason
Some time ago, I heard a young woman say,


"I am enough."
I was struck and intrigued by the expression, and so I set out to research it.
It originated with Carl Rogers, the psychotherapist, who was asked how he did what he did so successfully.
His response was, "Before a session with a client, I let myself know that
'I am enough.'
Not perfect – because perfect wouldn't be enough.
But I am human, and there is nothing that this client can say or do or feel that I cannot feel in myself.
I can be with them.
I am enough."
This echoes the serenity of mind, the calm spirit that characterizes a 'Mensch' –
in other words, a person of integrity, a quality that is defined in the dictionary as 'a state of being complete or undivided.'

Leaders such as these are the epitome of authenticity.
They come from the standpoint of being enough, of seeing themselves as complete human beings, providing a unique contribution to the world by giving their own brand of wisdom, ingenuity, perceptiveness, fairness, and fierce loyalty to their organizations, and to those they lead.
Here are what I call the 'leaves' of authenticity:
*
Living your values as a leader every day is an important key component of authentic leadership.
However, you need to examine these values periodically to consider their validity in today's environment.
Work-life balance, for example, is no longer a perk – it may be an essential requirement for attracting the best minds to your organization.
There is a real freedom when we shed all affectation.
Are there times in your life when you see yourself being forced to put on a show to make an impression on others?
Resolve to stop that, once and for all. Watch yourself soar when you are unencumbered by the weight of pretense. Tell yourself,
"I am enough" – and mean it.
*
Straight talk, self-confidence, and simplicity
– these are the building blocks of substance; the triumph over image.
Think about how you can make these a daily habit.
Only when you free yourself from the need to have others' approval can you truly start to evolve into the authentic leader you were meant to be.
Copyright © 2009 by Bruna Martinuzzi. All Rights Reserved
.

No comments:

FREE

Live a balanced life - learn some & think some & draw

& PaInT & sInG & DaNcE & PlAy & WoRk every day some.

You & i... walking with me all this time

Prov. 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously

Prov. 31:17 She sets about her work vigorously

My Blog List

im a survivor

New Product 2010 !

Earn 75% With The Popular Satellite Tv Software. Our Online Tv Software Convert Better With The New Localized Landing Page System. To Get Your Special Auto Geo Targeted Link
Click Here!

Followers